Wednesday, March 16, 2011

JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT

Three days after Baby Teagan was born and one Z-Pak (antibiotics for a sinus infection) later, new mother and baby came home. After going through at least one box of kleenex, two days with Roxy and Lola, St. Bernise Mountain dogs, and the second snowstorm, it was a welcome change.  Let me just say for the record that I am not a dog lover, but the three of us survived.  What should've been a momentus and unforgettable day, ended up being one but for a totally different reason.  After receiving three phonecalls minutes apart, that went unanswered because I was holding the new baby, I decided to check my voicemail.  My mother left an urgent message for me to return her call.  The other calls were from my brother and my sister.  My first thought was that my father had a heart attack, so I returned the call immediately. My cell phone service kept cutting out, but on the third try it finally stayed connected.  My mother, unsure if the call would be dropped again, blurted out quickly, "Danton is dead!"  I think I stopped breathing for a minute.  She went on, "He was in a car accident."  I took the positive stance and said, "You mean he's in the hospital."  I was sure she was just assuming the worst.  Her response was, "No, he's dead."  After listening to the few details she had been given, I called my brother who confirmed it.  I then made the dreaded phone call to my sister to have her confirmation that yes, her 18 year old son was killed in a car accident a few hours ealier.  I just can't believe it kept going through my head even though I knew it was true.  It truly is a day I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment