Monday, January 16, 2012

SARA PALIN FAMILY BOOK SIGNING

The Mall of America has tremendous drawing power for celebrities of all kinds. Movie starts, recording artists and politicians all make their appearances there. Recently the Sara Palin family had a book signing at the MOA at the end of June 2011. Sara signed her books, “Going Rogue” and “America by Heart”. Bristol Palin signed her new book, “Not Afraid of Life—My Journey So Far”. And even Todd Palin was on hand to sign Sara’s books. Since Sara falls into the Politician category the security was intense with police, mall security, and bomb sniffing dogs, along with the whole area being blocked off with barrier blockades. The crowded rotunda area I was expecting did not await me, but instead I was able to purchase books immediately. To get past the barricades and stand in line for the signing, you needed to purchase Bristol Palin’s new book and if you also wanted Sara Palin’s signature you had to purchase one of her two available books. I think this showd how Sara looks after her daughter. As a writer, I wish my mother could help me sell books with an incentive like that. After your purchase, you were allowed to enter the barricaded area, but only after a search of your bags and undergoing a wanding of your full body. The line was short and pictures were only allowed while standing in line, so no pictures at the signing table. And if you thought going through security at the airport was bad, once you were approaching the signing table, you were required to put all your bags, purses and cameras in a plastic container. You were handed a ticket to retrieve your belongings at the other end after your books were signed. But wait, that wasn’t all, you had to submit to the wanding process once again. I really wasn’t sure how they thought we could acquire other things while standing in line, but it was not open for debate. I brought my book, “Real Norwegians Eat Lutefisk” to give to Sara and Bristol as a keepsake from Minnesota, but was told by security I would not be allowed to bring the books up to the singing table. Bristol was the first to sign and I must say she is a very beautiful and gracious young woman. After watching her season on “Dancing with the Stars,” my heart went out to her for all her willpower to keep learning the dances. I think everyone applauded her success and how far she made it in her dancing knowledge and expertise. She shook my hand and I told her how well I thought she had done on the show. Sara was next, she shook my hand and asked, “What do you do in Minnesota?” I told her I was a writer and wrote a book called, “Real Norwegians Eat Lutefisk”, and I wanted to give her one but security wouldn’t let me. She was more than willing to receive the book, and mentioned her son, Tryg’s name was Norwegian. She motioned to security that it was okay to leave a book for her with them. Sara Palin proved to be a very beautiful woman on both the outside and inside along with being a genuine, friendly and gracious woman who I admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment